Forgotten "Holocaust" Aug 8, 2012 10:04:13 GMT 1
Post by Bonobo on Aug 8, 2012 10:04:13 GMT 1
During the summer of 1940, the SS rounded up members of the intelligentsia in the General Government. In this so-called A-B Aktion (Extraordinary Pacification Operation), several thousand university professors, teachers, priests, politicians, sportstmen, and others were shot.
Most of the victims were first arrested and tortured in the Pawiak prison in Warsaw, and then transferred to the execution site. Altogether, the remains of at least 2115 men and women were exhumed, but it is probable that not all bodies were found. Among the known victims were:
* Juliusz Dąbrowski, journalist and one of the leaders of Polish Scouting
* Witold Hulewicz, poet and radio journalist
* Stefan Kopeć, biologist and physiologist, professor of the University of Warsaw
* Janusz Kusociński, athlete, winner of 10 000 m at the 1932 Summer Olympics.
* Mieczysław Niedziałkowski, politician of the Polish Socialist Party
* Stanisław Piasecki, journalist, politician and art critic
* Jan Pohoski, politician, former deputy president of Warsaw
* Dawid Przepiórka, chess master
* Maciej Rataj, politician, Marshal of the Sejm
* Kazimierz Zakrzewski, scientist, professor of the University of Warsaw
Mpre photos here: